I now pronounce you Knabe Mingonette (Plastic parts replacement)

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:33:45 EST

Thump,

            While oxidation may be a problem, there is a way that threaded
steel into the aluminum rail may be less likely to wear away the tap in the
aluminum if a loctite mild strength thread locker were applied to the screw before
carefully guiding it back in the rail.
             Loctite produces a number of products (bonding agents in various
strengths) that can be administered onto threads that, when applied, and the
screw put back in place and it dries, it will form a bond that can be broken
with regular hand tools, (action driver or screwdriver in this case)  but will
not come loose on its own.

             I've also used teflon tape on screw threads, this works too. As
for preventing oxidation, I don't know of any product. I believe preserving
the tapped holes by  careful guiding (TLC) when re placing the screw and/or
using loctite can prevent stripping out.

Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA