Carpal tunnel surgery

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:50:25 -0500

Well, now , we've come full circle. I mentioned this very thing along with=
=20
giving out the name of one of our "brethren" in this field. Clair Davies=20
did this very thing of which you speak. He became quite captivated with the=
=20
deep tissue massage and how it helped him and his daughter. So much so that=
=20
he wrote a book about how to do these very massages yourself! The book is=20
called "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook, Your self Treatment Guide for=20
Pain Relief" . Maybe now that it has been mentioned more than once folks=20
will try it out. I certainly hope so as I can now testify that it is=20
beginning to do a world of good for me!!!!

Greg Newell

At 01:40 AM 12/19/2003, you wrote:

>A friend of mine had severe carpal tunnel syndrome after working for
>years in a lab as a biochemist.  She found that deep tissue massage from
>a massage therapist worked extremely well for her.  So well in fact that
>she changed careers and became a massage therapist herself.  She now
>works those hands hard giving deep tissue massages just about every day
>without a problem!
>
>I've personally been amazed at the difference that a good
>deep-tissue/sports massage can make to my body, so if it were me I'd
>give massage a serious try before going for surgery.
>
>I hope this helps!
>
>Greg DesBrisay
>

>On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 16:36, MKurta wrote:
> > Hi Randy:
> > After 30 years turning wrenches and pounding and twisting tools as an=20
> auto mechanic and 15 more as a piano tech, carpal tunnel syndrome caught=
=20
> up with me.  Numbness, pain, weakness, etc in both hands.  I was lucky=20
> enough to find an orthopedic surgeon who knew what he was doing and had=20
> both operated on at the same time.  They don't normally like to do this=20
> as it disables both hands, but we prevailed.  Immediate good=20
> results!  That night I had the first good night's sleep in years without=
=20
> waking up from symptoms.  Recovery was on schedule and all symptoms=20
> disappeared.
> >  However, I know of another tech who had the same operation (different=
=20
> doctor) and after 2 years, still has some difficulty with pain.  All I=20
> can say is find a good doc and hope.  The overwhelming thinking seems to=
=20
> be that it is a successful procedure in a high percentage of cases.  I=20
> read recently of laproscopic surgery which is less invasive, but how=
 effective?
> > Good Luck,
> >     Mike Kurta, RPT

Greg Newell