comparative labor rates ...

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:35:45 -0500

List,
We just had some heating system & plumbing work done at our home. Now,
the guys we chose for the jobs were much more professional and skilled
than the ones who we have previously used. It's not surprising that
they expect to be well compensated for work well done. But ....
$175.00 per hour, Master Plumber
$ 85.00 per hour, #2 guy (presumably Journeyman plumber, quite young)
Using "cheeper" contractors in the past only lead to the problems that
these guys had to fix.
So, $6K later, one reflects ... perhaps it's time to adjust my own
rates (or tune more pianos).

Meanwhile, zillions of jobs (software, banking, customer service) are
going overseas thanks to this cool internet technology I'm enjoying at
this very moment, and considerable numbers of previously well employed
past customers are downsizing their employment expectations.

Hoping for a Happy New Year,
Patrick