slow returning hammers

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:31:37 EST

Greetings,

            I went to a home where there was a Chickering console piano that
the hammers return at a snail's pace after the key is struck. I suggested that
the hammer bushings around their center pins may be swelled due to humidity
resulting in tightness and friction causing the slow motion return.  He had a
heater bar in the piano and I suggested that he plug it in to dry up some
moisture. He did. Two weeks later he calls and tells me it only helped allittle and
the thing is still unplayable.

             I am thinking that the only thing left to do is to bring the
action home and put it near a radiator so they dry out, and give each pin a shot
of protek. Any other suggestions?

thanks,
Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA