slow returning hammers

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:50:32 -0500

Julia,

            Protek can work but check the archives for Alcohol-Water
treatment for shrinking action centers.

            Doubtful you have verdigris but check the archives for that
topic also.

            Tom Driscoll

P.S. Damppchasers without humidistat ---Bad idea. Slight benefit to
tight action centers at the cost of over drying soundboard this time of
year if you're in a winter climate.

            Tom Driscoll RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Alpha88x@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2003 11:32 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: slow returning hammers

Greetings,

            I went to a home where there was a Chickering console piano
that the hammers return at a snail's pace after the key is struck. I
suggested that the hammer bushings around their center pins may be
swelled due to humidity resulting in tightness and friction causing the
slow motion return.  He had a heater bar in the piano and I suggested
that he plug it in to dry up some moisture. He did. Two weeks later he
calls and tells me it only helped allittle and the thing is still
unplayable.

             I am thinking that the only thing left to do is to bring
the action home and put it near a radiator so they dry out, and give
each pin a shot of protek. Any other suggestions?

thanks,
Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA