slow returning hammers

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:05:47 -0600

At 11:31 PM -0500 12/20/03, Alpha88x@aol.com wrote:
>...  I am thinking that the only thing left to do is to bring the
>action home and put it near a radiator so they dry out, and give
>each pin a shot of protek. Any other suggestions?

Julia,

You have to determine what is causing the sluggishness first before
you start taking active measures that may be completely unrelated.
The Dampp-Chaser was an excellent first attempt, though two days
would have easily revealed its effectiveness rather than two weeks.

So now, take one of the worst example of sluggishness, try Protek on
the flanges, or try easing the key bushings for that note, or try
repinning the flanges for that note, or all three.

But *first* discover the cause for the sluggishness, than determining
the fix will become evident.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731