Drying boxes

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:35:04 -0500

If your purpose for the box is to simply keep wood at a moderate =
moisture content, then the humidistat controlling a heater would be an =
excellent way to go. I'd be a little leery of the baseboard heater =
though - fire concern, because most I've seen develop a red-hot element =
in them. Perhaps better to consider a bunch of DC rods or get one of the =
little sealed oil-filled room heaters and just use the 600 watt setting. =
My recollection is that the DC humidistat is rated to run 600 watts off =
it. Rods might be the easiest way to go though. If your box is well =
insulated, then you really won't need all that much for a heat source. =
I've got two or three rods in the base of my hot box and it's all I need =
to dry soundboards drier that anyone would ever want to dry a =
soundboard.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Mike Bratcher=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2003 1:09 PM
  Subject: Drying boxes

  Hi all,

  Well, I'm still in the tooling up phase, and I have 2 drying boxes for =
different purposes.  One is basically a large storage box designed to be =
efficient and cheap.  The other is the dry down box very similar to =
Overs box (Thanks Ron).

  My question is concerning the big storage box.  It has shelves and =
racks to hold soundboards, rib stock, shim stock, whatever.  I want to =
put a small baseboard heater in it and a very small computer type fan in =
it to keep air moving.  I'm thinking I will need some type of control =
unit to turn the heater on and off.  Maybe even a dampp-chaser =
humidistat.  The box is 8' x 8' x 2'6" fully insulated, but not vapor =
proof.  Or, I could just use the control setting on the heater, but what =
should I set it at?  I do live in Indiana where the humidity is very =
high in summer and very low in the winter.  The box is in a remote =
sheltered but unheated part of our shop.

  What do you think?

  Mike Bratcher