Hide Glue used in piano construction

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:14:37 -0500

Hi Calin,

Here is a link to some good hide glue info. It also has links to the
manufacturer - additional info on their page. I bought some of the 3X Chrome
from Joe G. and absolutley love it - best by far that I have ever used. My
recommendation would be to use what better musical instrument makers use.

And if you are re-gluing ribs to an old soundboard, consider that you are
likely not mating clean surfaces together and clamping properly - hide glue
might not be the best choice as I believe hide glue works best with
well-mated surfaces and good clamping - although it does have a reputation
for some gap-filling properties. I'd also consider epoxy.

Terry Farrell

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Data/Materials/hideglue.html