downbearing direction

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:31:41 -0800

I don't know if this has ever been brought up on the list, or elsewhere, but
because of my hyper-curiosity, here goes.
Another difference between verts and grands (that has not been addressed, as
far as i know)is that the upright hammer travels in the same direction as
downbearing, whereas the hammers of the grand action impact the strings in
the opposite direction; AGAINST downbearing. I'm wondering if this MIGHT
have an effect, if any, on the strings where they seat on the bridges. If
so, it would seem logical that the upright strings would stay seated better
than grands because of the positive direction of impact. Probably no
appreciable effect, but I thought it was an interesting observation anyway.

Terry Peterson

Enjoy the holiday season with great tips from MSN.