Don's "Self tuning piano"

Don A. Gilmore eromlignod@kc.rr.com
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:38:09 -0600

Hi Robin:

After a long wait, the self-tuning piano was finally patented earlier =
this year.  Currently the self-tuning piano is queued behind several =
other inventions of mine.  There are three other devices that, though =
they were invented after the STP, are smaller and easier to get on the =
market quickly.  I can't tell you what they are yet, but you will see =
them in the coming months.  Only one of those three is piano related.

I have the prototype self-tuner here in my lab in Kansas City.  I did =
extensive preliminary work on it along with Soneticom, a firm QRS hired =
to do the production electronics design, this summer.  Our biggest =
concerns were keeping the cost down and minimizing the power =
consumption.

The power consumption is directly related to tuning range: the more =
range you want, the more juice it takes.  All we have ever really wanted =
is a reasonable range to cover normal, yearly climate changes (about 20 =
cents or so).  With age and stretch it will obviously have to be brought =
back into range from time to time by a tech, but this should be much =
less time consuming and tedious than an actual complete tuning.

The point of the system is to allow the pianist to have an in-tune =
instrument on a daily basis.  Rather than have a piano that is =
noticeably out of tune after a few weeks, a musician can now touch it up =
and play a perfectly tuned instrument at any time of the year.  That's a =
basic luxury that all other musicians in the orchestra have always =
enjoyed.

I would happy to explain its operation in more detail to anyone =
interested as well as answer any technical questions that you have.  =
Thanks for your interest.

Don A. Gilmore
Mechanical Engineer
Kansas City