"Self tuning piano" questions

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:12:12 +0100

Don, hello, thanks for your proposal to give us some better understanding of
your system.

First I wonder if the strings have to be heated all day long to stay in
tune. ( a concern about warmness/dryness in the instrument)
>From a metallurgic point, the strings when heated are less stiff also, can't
it change the spectra significally ( I have tried to heat strings rubbing
them with a piece of wood, and the change in tone is amazing)

If not I suppose you uses some reserve of tension that you can move to the
speaking length with the warming (don't imagine how )

Third, I guess a "master tuning" is recorded in the memory of the system,
and indeed that should be precise enough in terms of justness for most uses
(-assuming the system can even the pitch reading or be calibrated at the end
of the ringing time where the string is supposed to be more stable in
pitch) - but what I suspect is that a system like this can't produce the
most pleasing tone that only good aural tuners are producing . Not to say
that the system may not be very useful, for instance in Jazz clubs or in
parts of the word where it is difficult to find a tuner, but the tone
projection and the color of the unisons is something we don't really have
understood yet I believe.

As it seem to me that these are very much related to a regulation of the
phase between couples of strings, and that the tuner try to match well this
phase with the acoustics available,  (hammers, soundboard, strings, room)
to obtain the very best tone he can, I wonder if you have tried to take
these phase questions under analysis and try to obtain an acceptable dealing
of those.

My take is that it is not possible to have 3 strings coupled and phasing
together, one being in reverse phase from the others systematically (if I
are wrong please tell me) Then the second take is that these phases are
playing a role in the way the strings system loose its energy (so it plays a
role in the way the attack is stabilized)

That could be may be a very fine analysis of the pitch - while I guess the
precision needed is not possible with current equipment - of each string, if
one accept the idea that one of the strings is most probably a tad lower or
higher than others, I noticed that if one tune 3 strings by plucking them,
with a very precise ETD (and an ear check) , the final unison have chances
to be harsh or not carrying well.

So I am curious to know if you have worked on that part of the analysis,
tuning being considered like voicing (impedance match between strings/board
stiffness and hammer/action reaction ?

Nowadays we are amazed by your system.

Another thing I can say about unisons tuning. Before understanding how to
tune nice unisons, most tuners realize that the piano tones sometimes better
after having played a bit, most probably because some state of equilibrium
in resonance install itself in the strings system. After having understood
how to tune that part of the tone from the start, we see that the tone is
only subject to degradation when played, but mostly the better stability
from the start lend to a more pleasing sound that evolves way better in time
generally (than the evolving coming from a less full tone to begin with).

As usual so intellectual and "artistic" ideas !!! (that is why it is easier
to instruct someone with nice comparisons than with acoustic facts) The
piano "talks " to you, the tone suddenly "escapes" of the piano, the piano
"sings" the unison have an "immobile move" ... and so on !

Congratulations again for your work and thanks to be there on that list - I
also like the way you express things, some tend to confuse "a bit of salt "
and " a bit of pepper" (not me of course!) .

With all due respect and best regards.

Isaac

                       Pianotech

                        Isaac OLEG
                        accordeur - reparateur - concert  19 rue Jules Ferry
                        94400 VITRY sur SEINE
                        oleg-i@noos.fr  tel:
                              fax:
                              mobile:  033 01 47 18 06 98
                              33 01 47 18 06 90
                              033 06 60 42 58 77

            Powered by Plaxo Want a signature like this?

      Add me to your address book...