Downbearing direction/string breakage

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:01:33 EST

But now I wonder if UPward blows from a grand would be more likely to break
strings, over time, compared to an upright. That would be a tough one to
extrapolate, I think.

Terry Peterson

Hi Terry
 I can't see why it would make any difference at all. String breakage is
caused by metal fatigue  which is often related  to over driving of the strings
with hard hammers period. These days the problem is exaccerbated by holding the
sustain pedal down continually which causes wild string osillations while
being strick repeatedly by same hardened hammers. Usually under these conditions
string break at the agraffes/terminations.
   Regards --Dale