Downbearing direction/string breakage

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 13:51:00 -0800

Of course, strings can break on new pianos during tuning or playing, and
we've all heard of a string breaking on the concert stage during
performance, so I would think there might be something other than metal
fatigue or hard hammers being the cause, or the sole culprit; maybe simply a
faulty/defective length of piano wire.

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: Erwinspiano@aol.com
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Downbearing direction/string breakage
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:01:33 EST

But now I wonder if UPward blows from a grand would be more likely to break
strings, over time, compared to an upright. That would be a tough one to
extrapolate, I think.

Terry Peterson

Hi Terry
  I can't see why it would make any difference at all. String breakage is
caused by metal fatigue  which is often related  to over driving of the
strings
with hard hammers period. These days the problem is exaccerbated by holding
the
sustain pedal down continually which causes wild string osillations while
being strick repeatedly by same hardened hammers. Usually under these
conditions
string break at the agraffes/terminations.
    Regards --Dale

Worried about inbox overload? Get MSN Extra Storage now!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es