Hide glue(s) used in piano.......

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:53:48 -0800

Isaac said: "I guess that what Joe mean with "too much fat" is that the glue
have a
too high surface tension, that does not allow it to penetrate well
enough (moist) the parts. The same effect occur when using urea."

Isaac,
Not quite what I meant. There are some glues that have actual Fat Solids.
These Fat Solids do not render down like the sinue, flesh and bone. It makes
the glue more flexible, for a longer time, but is not a strong as
sinue/flesh glue. All glues have some percentage of fat solids in them,
except the most refined. The 3X-Chrome glue, I'm constantly referring to is
one of those with any appreciable amount, therefore it is quite strong.
(Almost too strong, as it gets very brittle if not use correctly.)
A couple of "primers" are: 1. "Adheseives and Glues" by Robert S. Miller of
Franklin Glues, copyright date: 1980
2. "Home and Workshop Guide to Glues and Adhesives" by George Daniels,
(Popular Science Skill Book), Copyrighte date: 1979
Also, if you want a full picture of all of the variable types of Hide Glues,
contact Milligan & Higgins, Johnstown, NY. Talk to Jay. That is the source
of the 3X-Chrome glue that I have. He sent me several samples of other
grades/types of hide glue some were very good, as well.
I hope this clarifies a few things regarding Hide Glue. It's still the
oldest glue and IMO the best for pianos regarding strength and workability.
It does take getting used to, but well worth the effort.
Best Regards

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I