Salvaging a grand lid

DIANE HOFSTETTER dianepianotuner@msn.com
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 19:00:12 -0800

Hello Mike,

First thing to come to mind--are you the responsible party for salvaging
this lid?  (ie.: are you the one who left it standing in the water?  Did it
already have damage when it was in the customer's home? Did the piano movers
leave it in water?)  The answer to this question is your first concern.  If
you did not cause the damage, then maybe you can turn the work over to a
wood worker and let the responsible party pay for the repairs while you get
on with the repairs you customer expects you to do.

Diane

Diane Hofstetter

>From: "Mike McCoy" <mjmccoy@usa.com>
>To: "Pianotech (Pianotech)" <pianotech@ptg.org>
>Subject: Salvaging a grand lid
>Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:12:13 -0500
>

>Hi Troops,
>
>  I received a piano recently and when I unwrapped the lid it apparently
>was standing on edge, hinge side, in water or at least absorbed a lot of
>moisture. The panels making up the lid swelled of course, separated and
>popped the veneer off from the edge in to about 8". The front lid
>section is the worst and swelled enough that the veneer is not wide
>enough to cover it by approx 1/4". Make sense? The rest of the lid is
>great and didn't need any work at all if this had not happened.
>
>This was supposed to be a simple bass bridge cap, hammers, clean up and
>out the door job. I have my doubts I can dry this down, get some glue in
>the cracks and clamp it but I think that's the first thing to try unless
>you have other ideas. Removing top & bottom veneer, cutting, planing the
>panels is not what I had in mind.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Mike
>
>Mike McCoy RPT
>Chapters 170 & 190 PTG
>Langhorne, Pa
>mailto:mjmccoy@usa.com

Enjoy a special introductory offer for dial-up Internet access — limited
time only! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup