Yamaha vs. Samick studio pianos

PatchWick@aol.com PatchWick@aol.com
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:36:12 EST

Sorry. Let me elaborate.

1) I don't know what "ordered from the internet" means for sure. That is the
customers term. He avoided the chance to purchase a properly prepped and tuned
Yamaha from a local dealer in favor of purchasing, as he indicated, "from the
internet". The movers brought the piano up 3 flights to his apartment and
left it. They did not even remove (nor had any dealer removed) any of the
shipping blocks.

2) At least in part, the action was "bouncing" because there had been no
dealer prep. I do dealer prep on a regulare basis, so I am quite familiar with
standard procedures required. In fact, it appeared as though there had either
been a problem with the piano during delivery, although I did not locate any
specific damage, or this piano had not been regulated very well even at the
factory. The key level was not too bad, but the dip is very uneven, and there is no
lost motion, infact the hammer shanks do not even rest on the rail. The other
apparent cause of the bouncing is the quality of the aluminum action rails
compounded by the fact that there are brackets only on the ends. No support in
the middle at all.

3) I don't have a "local" Kawaii dealer, so I don't see many new Kawaii
pianos. This one is a model K-25. A model that is very similar in size at least to
the P-22 but not nearly as well constructed an instrument.

4) I did not intend to suggest that this was the "worst piano I have ever
tuned" only that it was the worst Kawaii I had ever tuned. I have tuned many
kincaids, whitneys, memphis aeolians and even a fair number of lowreys. There are
many many pianos out there that are far worse than this one.

5) I did share all my concerns and suggestions of what work should be done
that the customer avoided in his quest to save a few bucks. I am currently
waiting to hear from him about going ahead with the somewhat overdue "after-dealer
prep".

I hope this clears things up.

will wickham