Inertia and Physics- was "Key Inertia"

Fri, 26 Dec 2003 01:54:47 +0100

List

Having read the days posts on the thread, and looked aside from the off
topical material as best as I can, I am forced to a to give up trying to
find a common denominator for the discussion. And this has probably
little or nothing to do with Mr/Dr Thomasons post when I stop to think
about it, though that's perhaps one of the last irons in the bowl as it
were.

Just a couple days ago Don G stated outright that inertia had nothing to
do with mass, that everything regardless of mass had just as much
inertia as everything else. Fair enough... either that's true or not...
fair enough. But since then I've seen at least three posts citing Don G
as saying exactly the opposite. Compare for yourself please.

Don G said
" There are no units of "inertia"; one object cannot have more "inertia"
than another. "

Paul Chick says
"DON G. CLEARLY EXPLAINED THAT MASS AND INERTIA ARE RELATED.  THEY ARE.
THEY ARE DIRECTLY RELATED.  IF YOU INCREASE MASS, YOU INCREASE THE
AMOUNT OF INERTIA."

Sarah says
"I agree with Don that we're essentially in agreement about these terms.
...... The more massive the object, the greater the inertia, the greater
the force needed to set it into motion -- or halt its motion -- or
change its motion."

Then also compare the apparent agreement from the following two excepts
from other posts.

Don G said in another post

"Inertia is just the stubborn tendency of matter to resist change .....
It resists in the form of force (or torque, for a rotating object)"

and

Calin Thomasen said today

"Any object has a quantifiable resistance, impedance if you prefer, to a
change in its velocity to any other given velocity, and that  resistance
is reflected clearly and precisely in the amount of force required to
achieve that acceleration."

I found this essential agreement striking considering Calins seemingly
crass criticisms of some of the contributors to the thread.

So all in all, I am left a bit disillusioned. I had hoped to get us all
talking on the same page, thinking that would help us communicate
meaninfully about a subject matter that clearly interests and intrigues
many. Doesnt look like I am going to succeed.

Sigh... ah well... there are more serious matters in the world then
these I suppose. Its Christmas for one, and I am thankfull for so very
much. None the least are all my pianotech friends and associates who
have contributed so much to my life these past few years.

Cheers and Keep on keeping Merry :)

RicB