Inertia and Physics- was "Key Inertia"

Paul Chick paulchick@myclearwave.net
Thu, 25 Dec 2003 20:07:01 -0600

Richard,

Paul Chick Writes-
I don't recall Don G. saying outright that inertia had nothing to do with
mass.  Quite the contrary, as you stated, he said there are no units for
inertia, and he also stated that inertia is not used in any calculations.
It is a concept used to explain, as members trying desperately to find words
to describe it, resistance to change in motion, or impedence of change in
motion, or a tendancy to not change motion.  Following that, everything that
you quote (except for what the PhD says) is saying exactly the same thing.
This is good.  Listen to those.  Also visit
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/newtlaws/u2l1b.html to see
if they can explain better than the rest of us. I think they do a good job
of explaining.

Richard Wrote-
Just a couple days ago Don G stated outright that inertia had nothing to do
with mass, that everything regardless of mass had just as much inertia as
everything else. Fair enough... either that's true or not... fair enough.
But since then I've seen at least three posts citing Don G as saying exactly
the opposite. Compare for yourself please.

Don G said
" There are no units of "inertia"; one object cannot have more "inertia"
than another. "

Paul Chick says
"DON G. CLEARLY EXPLAINED THAT MASS AND INERTIA ARE RELATED.  THEY ARE.
THEY ARE DIRECTLY RELATED.  IF YOU INCREASE MASS, YOU INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF
INERTIA."

Sarah says
"I agree with Don that we're essentially in agreement about these
terms....... The more massive the object, the greater the inertia, the
greater the force needed to set it into motion -- or halt its motion -- or
change its motion."

Don G said in another post
"Inertia is just the stubborn tendency of matter to resist change .....
It resists in the form of force (or torque, for a rotating object)"

Paul Chick Writes-
Don't listen to what this guy says, read the website for yourself, he's
either dead wrong or.....no he's just wrong!

Richard Wrote-
I found this essential agreement striking considering Calins seemingly
crass criticisms of some of the contributors to the thread.

Paul Chick.
Paul Chick's Piano Service
Plainview, MN 55694