"Self tuning piano" questions

Don A. Gilmore eromlignod@kc.rr.com
Thu, 25 Dec 2003 22:23:56 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Isaac sur Noos" <oleg-i@noos.fr>
<pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2003 10:46 AM
Subject: RE: "Self tuning piano" questions

> Hello, very ingenious and certainly repeatable system.
>
> That's funny this was my next question to ask if the pickup should be
> able to energize the string !
>
> Did you experiment this "overdrive" effect while the piano play ? It
> could be a method to correct the sound of a piano, or to produce new
> kind of tones ?

I considered this idea briefly.  You could locate drive coils at strategic
places along a string and and enhance/inhibit individual partials for
special timbre effects.  But the sustaining effect would probably be too
slow for real-time playing and would affect decay, etc.  Besides, it would
really only be a novelty; synthesizers can do this and more in a much more
efficient, usable and cost-effective manner.

> I doubt nowadays that it reproduce the phase coupling that the tuner
> is initially after, did you experiment on that side of the process ?
>
> I still don't understand if you use a tension reserve in the string to
> bring it to pitch , or is the string warmed to correct pitch (that
> induce changes in iH I guess, how much I don't know, but a 35 °string
> is toning softer than a 20 ° one) .

Since the piano is factory-tuned at an elevated temperature, it will go
sharp when allowed to cool to room temperature.  This is the reserve
tension.

> Have you experienced for curiosity, on the spectra changes with the
> heat ?

No, not with a spectrum analyzer anyway.  95 F is just not that warm.  I can
tell you that I can detect no differences in the sound.  It just sounds like
a newly-tuned piano.

I might also mention that I'm not just a "gearhead".  I studied piano at the
UMKC Conservatory of Music (formerly the Horner Institute) for sixteen years
and have played piano for nearly 32 years.

Don A. Gilmore
Mechanical Engineer
Kansas City