dowel top caps

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 26 Dec 2003 01:51:16 -0700

    Some pianos came new with these rubber bushings installed in the damper lifter rods, so they weren't intended only as bushings for pedal props.  Kimball also used them, but theirs are a bit larger.  They also used them where the pedal rod sits in the pedal lever, and where the prop protrudes from the pedal lever, which makes the pedals hard to adjust in some cases, because you can't just turn the wing nut -- you have to screw/unscrew the rubber bushing first which can be really tight, sometimes requiring vise grips and three hands to adjust.  APSCO sold the same thing, but made of felt.  I don't know if they're still available.  If you have no bushings at all, you can wrap the steel pin with masking or electrical tape, then put a felt punching over the pin.  It'll work until the tape wears through.  I've seen plastic tubing slid down over the pin also, but unless it's a tight fit, the lever action usually works it up out of place.
    --David Nereson, RPT