Inertia

J. Stanley Ryberg jstan40@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 26 Dec 2003 13:30:14 -0800 (PST)

<<Date:Thu, 25 Dec 2003 17:35:00 -0800From:"Carl Meyer" <cmpiano@comcast.net>To:"Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>Subject:Re: Key Inertia>>

<<I'm sorry, but I don't have any letters either before or after my name.Only between them.One of my two favorite comments are "I haven't been hampered by a formaleducation" and " If you don't have any common sense you should go tocollege." They drive my daughter to distraction.  She's going for her MBA.Fortunately she's already smarter that most MBA's.When I went to school, they didn"t offer physics.  During world war two.Common sense is my only advantage.  Sometimes I think I'm blessed by that,but I do wish I had the opportunity of a good education.On my tombstone I want it to say "He could tolerate stupidity and ignorance,but arrogance drove him crazy".During my career I've worked with too many PHDs to think that they are inany way superior to anything except arrogance.Carl Meyer Ptg assocSanta Clara, Ca.>>

Carl!

In the course of my own PhD studies, I used to drive my mother crazy

by saying that a PhD was certain evidence of brain damage--either you

had it coming into the program, or they made sure you had it before

awarding you the "letters!"  (I never quite figured out what my own

excuse was.....probably the former.....)  At any rate, in the process of my

own 35 years of teaching, I also spent the same 35 years as a professional

performing musician, trying desperately to live down the old adage that

any performer with a PhD can't play!  (The adage remains true in most

cases, sad to say.)

The List is a breath of fresh air...kind, generous people...it can survive the

occasional blast.  And thanks to Sarah and Don, who have been able to

get far beyond the letters after their respective names!

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL
jstan40@sbcglobal.net