Moment of Inertia of grand action parts.

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:52:56 -0500

Don A. Gilmore wrote:
> Hi John:
>
> That formula you are using won't even get you anywhere close to the total
> moment of inertia.  The second part is probably all right.  You're assuming
> that the leads are small enough that they will perform like point masses,
> which will probably get you pretty close.  But the first part (1/2ML^2) is
> wayyyy off.
>
> The formula you should use for a rectangular shaft that pivots at its center
> is
>
> I = 1/12 * m * (h^2 + L^2)
>
> where h is the height of the key, bottom to top.

Thanks,

I meant it to read 1/12ML^2. I forgot the 1 in the denominator. I
changed the drawing to reflect your suggestion to include the height.

It's good to have someone on the list to help with this stuff. I sent
two other drawings with simple equations. Did you have a chance to view
them? If there is something wrong with them it would be good to clear it
up now before moving on.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos