Moment of Inertia of grand action parts.

Don A. Gilmore eromlignod@kc.rr.com
Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:17:07 -0600

Hi John:

That formula you are using won't even get you anywhere close to the total
moment of inertia.  The second part is probably all right.  You're assuming
that the leads are small enough that they will perform like point masses,
which will probably get you pretty close.  But the first part (1/2ML^2) is
wayyyy off.

The formula you should use for a rectangular shaft that pivots at its center
is

I = 1/12 * m * (h^2 + L^2)

where h is the height of the key, bottom to top.

Good luck!

Don A. Gilmore
Mechanical Engineer
Kansas City