Moment of Inertia of grand action parts.

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:29:19 -0500

Inertia Heads,

The next step toward understanding how the action works when actually
played is to find the total MOI as measured at the front of the key.
First we need to find the MOI of the key, wippen and shank. I thought it
would be useful to find ways to estimate this. The drawing shows a way
to estimate the MOI of the key. I have ways to estimate the MOI of the
wip and the hammer/shank as well but first I wanted to se if anyone else
had ideas on how to do this.

We could use a variety of methods to measure the MOI directly like using
a torsion table or torsion pendulum. But these are difficult to build
and calibrate, more useful for demonstrating the principles of inertia
than for getting accurate measurement. Professional measuring equipment
is beyond my reach so for now the estimated MOI will have to do.

After finding the MOI of the three parts the total MOI can be figured
with an equation.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin