Moment of Inertia of grand action parts.

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 09:20:40 -0500

Mark Davidson wrote:

> I made an attempt to relate hammer, wippen and key inertia to total
> reflected inertia here:
>
> https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/2003-August/140901.html

Mark,

Thanks for sharing this with me. Just yesterday I came to exactly the
same conclusion. I am doing a drawing to show the acceleration ratios of
the wip and shank in relation to the key. The fact that we both came up
with the same formula is encouraging but to be sure we need to have Don
go over it.

Have you plugged in the MOIs? It looks like the shank and hammer
contribute about 12 times or more of the total I as felt at the key. If
the formula is right it shows how unimportant changes to the key MOI is
in relation to overall efficiency. Also, if there is any benefit to
pattern leading it is not to make the action feel even from note to
note. Adding lead to the key is not the big evil commonly thought unless
it has some effect on repetition.

I think we are going to find that the biggest problem with increasing
the mass of the action parts is the losses due to bending and compliance.

I still need to complete the kinetic model of the action but I can see
ahead to the next step. Maybe you are already there. Is there a way to
convert the kinetic forces developed at different levels of play into
static loads. Then we can see how these loads bend the shank and key. It
would be great if this could lead to a formula for finding the terminal
velocity of the hammer.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin