To Dr. T

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:36:03 +0100

Hi Stéphane, Indeed I just thought of you on those matters ;>°.

Indeed I in fact regret the way I treated you on the list a year ago,
my justification is that I have get "hot" while understanding that
even if you present yourself as a collector, in the end you sell your
instruments on a regular basis (and more than that in my town).

I for example have to pay taxes and social charges to be allowed to
work, for that reason I see no justification helping non professionals
to sell pianos to some people that could have been customers of mine.

Agreed this is a petite view of things, more interesting things in
life certainly.

I for sure also tend to get hungry with people that don't use the good
techniques and material to begin with, as we are often meeting in the
field pianists with strange pianos in hand expecting us to have it
working while to obtain that result the repair have to be done again.
These repairs are done by more or less talented/honest repair peoples
, OK, for instance I have a Steinway B back to the workshop where it
comes from, to be installed a new pin block, because I expertise the
thing as being unusable. A pianist that should have bought the same
instrument to you would have no guarantee at all (as I have seen many
coming from "collectors").

I certainly don't wish to act as a Don Quichotte , there are more
important matters, I am amazed in fact that when it comes to older
instruments everything is allowed, as we don't have comparisons with
the original tone and intention.

It is often said that less talented musicians find way to survive in
the Barocco trade, this works quite well, (Music is turning to be
actually more entertainment than anything else, and that is
comprehensible as way less people are coming to concert to hear music
, marketing tricks have to be used to allow the musicains to own a
living), more talented ones are beginning to be interested in older
instruments, so this will be an interesting way to work in some cases,
but still I believe it is asking for a comprehensive training and
understanding of things that is one of our joys and need constant
attention.

I have no doubt you are trying to do as well as you can, simply if you
are a collector, you can collect instruments, trade them with other
collectors, but it have little to do with people that are practising
this work to make a living.

I'll stop now, I guess people have understood my ire, is it justified
I don't know, it is damned too easy to write what one feel on these
forums.

I apologize if I worry anyone with my writing, I have some sence of
humour yet I guess, I hope you're doing well I for sure wish to meet
you in the trade someday if you plan to.

Too sad I seem to get too radical with age, I'll try to not get more
extremist than that and not turn to denounce for instance the Steinway
employed tuner(s) that are producing 2 supplementary tunings each day
only for themselves (because the week's work is now 35hours there), or
people that work without paying taxes (and there are more than that in
our trade).

I knew that our American colleagues are sensible to that point of
view, because they probably have a better understanding of what mean
defending economics in a community (while I blelieve also that the
same reasonning remains everywhere, as undeclared workers seem to be
part of the system in every part of the world)

Greetings, and have a good 2004 year.

Isaac

Isaac OLEG
accordeur - reparateur - concert