Moment of Inertia of grand action parts.

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 02:15:03 +0100

Stanwoods favourite solution for the time being is generally a heavy
hammer, usually half top on his scale, a low ratio (5.5 or less Strike
Weight Ratio) and assist springs to do significant portions of the
counterbalancing, leads to do the rest. This is going to generally end
up being an action with lots of top action inertia and not so much key
inertia.

To date there is no study that can show what levels of action inertia on
average are most preferable amoung pianists. Stannwoods method allows
for such a study however, even if in general terms. One thing that
Stanwoods method does not take into consideration whatsover is action
complaince. As such it is at present not possible to use Stanwoods
balancing system to manipulate overall action efficiency. One is only
able to precisely balance SWs, and Counterbalances for a given ratio.

Cheers
RicB