False beat Suppression (was: PitchLock) (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:59:08 -0500

To follow up on this topic, I thought I'd impart my latest idea on
false beat suppression
by means of Bridge Pin Coupling (BPC).

First, though, a quick briefing on my other BPC of ideas...

Initially I thought of clamping mechanisms such as binder clips in
various forms and sizes
but their fabrication would probably be cost prohibitive. Then
something a little more
mechanically sophisticated, similar to a brass rail repair clip made of
brass or HMDP.
I have not attempted either application.

Next came a wedging execution where an inverted trapezoidal HMDP
fabrication would fit
between the front and rear bridge pins and be secured with screws to
the bridge whereby
applying pressure on the pins to reduce their wavering. Again, no
prototypes.

Somewhere in there was a fine wire gauge screw that would install
relatively close to the pin
so that once screwed into the bridge, the head would bind against the
pin thereby reinforcing.

This morning an idea of using music wire woven through a unison's
bridge pins came
into mind while pondering the PitchLock application. The wire segment
would need to
have a bend so as not to apply too much tension which might cause other
problems
with the pins. The segment might also be bent to wrap around the end
pins to some degree.

While considering the effort needed to place the bends in close
proximity to each other
I thought that a metal softer than music wire could be used and
non-round while we're at it. . .
brb. . . so I just made a few prototypes and attached a jpg.

It is a non-working example because this piano is in the re-whatevering
process. So, I'd like
to 'open-source' this since I don't have false beats around for
experimentation. There might be
a more suitable metal to use than a construction staple as well. Long
term trials are needed
to see if it vibrates loose... I hate it when that happens.

Has anyone already tried this?

Regards,

Jon Page, piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.