What is lye

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:09:07 +0100

John Musselwhite wrote:

> At 10:09 AM 12/30/2003 -0500, Sarah wrote:
>
> >Lye is the principal ingredient in drain cleaner.
>
> It's also the principal ingredient (after codfish) in lutefisk, a Norwegian
> "delicacy" I suffered through for years until we complained enough that Mom
> stopped making it. I always thought it tasted like Draino!
>
>                  John

Getting ready to have ours tommorrow evening. Traditional New Years dish
over here. Delicious if prepared correctly. Rather unsavoury if handled
with less the the appropriate degree of expertise. One of those dishes a
very high percentage of those attempting it should probably not attempt
when it comes down to it.

Doesnt really have all that much flavour at all in itself... ya gots to
have lots of bacon drippings, some strong pea mash, and generous amounts
of Aqua Vitæ.

Happy New Years folks.

RicB