Depowering a Piano

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:10:17 +0100

Terry

why not try and tell the pianist that his father really knows that he =
has now grown up to a really good guy ?

St=E9phane Collin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 10:39 PM
  Subject: Depowering a Piano

  Yamaha C3, piano bar in nightclub. Serviced every two weeks. Always =
been a good piano in very good condition. New piano player for last two =
or three months. The guy is a major pounder. Lots of broken bass strings =
(maybe 10 in the last two months - never before). The key bushings have =
also gone from excellent condition to slapping neighboring keys.

  The guy I work for requested that I depower the piano by decreasing =
blow distance and, correspondingly, key dip. Seems like a good idea. I =
had not heard of that approach before. Seems to me the piano player will =
notice it and not like it. But that is just my guess. I reduced dip in =
the bass by 0.075" - and then blow by about five times that - to about =
1.5 inches. (From middle "C" on down, I added 0.025" punchings on the =
front rail every half-octave until I got to the bass where I added the =
three punchings to each front key pin - so that there was a transition =
to the shorter dip.)

  I have seen recommendations for increasing let-off to depower a =
pounder. I have never tried that though. Just curious whether anyone has =
any experience with the technique I outlined above, and how much =
dip/blow reduction is best to adequately depower the piano, but not =
aggravate the player too much. The amount I used what just a wild guess =
on my part.

  Terry Farrell