Depowering a Piano

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:20:38 -0600

Terry,

Here is part of a post that I contributed to back in '95--you can find it in
the archives.  I believe the thread made it into the Journal, but I can't
tell you what year or month.   Also, does the pianist have a monitor?
Sometimes that helps alleviate the problem (and sometimes not!).  I can't
remember how much I backed off the let-off--I used the  recommendations
given to me by the folks at Yamaha.

Good luck!

Re: Samick Grand Bass String ...
Barbara Richmond
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 15:32:37 -0500 (CDT)

<snip>

Seriously, I first saw this piano when it was one year
old--the string cuts were about 3/4 inch.  I shaped the
hammers, regulated it to rob it of as much power as
possible, put lost motion in the damper pedal, softened
what hammer felt was left and managed to slow but not
eliminate the breakage.

<snip>

Barbara Richmond
Illinois Wesleyan University