Depowering a Piano

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:58:58 +0100

Letoff or blow ? (or the 2)
You should nowadays leave an acceptable leverage under the hands of
the pianist, so my take is to allow the letoff to be sooner and the
blow a little less (you need the rest cushion to be not too far), and
reduce the dip to allow for jack leaving the roller, as usual, if the
piano is too light use more aftertouch than minimal.

A short dip can be very agreeable to a hard player (assuming letoff
drop is good).

Anyway take care that if you have too much dip for a given stroke
/letoff, the jack is in the lever cushion and is prone to break. It is
a good idea to check where the jack is at the end of the stroke, the
jack may be able to move a little more if you want to be secure.

My idea is that the pianist will not notice, if he bangs he is too
healthy, or death, or the piano tone is not strong enough (too large
strings marks and too hard hammers).
More play at the sustain pedal is a good idea also (don't forget to
lock it).

You will certainly notice also that if the keyboard is hard to control
(regulation not good) you'll have more breaking strings, I take care
often more than necessary of the regulation of the pianos I follow,
and I am happy to have very few breaking (till tomorrow!)

Greetings.

Isaac OLEG
accordeur - reparateur - concert
oleg-i@noos.fr