Depowering a Piano

Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:44:16 +0100

If the instrument is in decent shape, regulated decently, hammers voiced
reasonably... then nothing is really going to help aside from the
pianist backing off a bit. You might make a dent in the problem useing a
few of the common tricks.. but it isnt going to go away. Pianos were
simply not made to be beat to death.

Talk to the club owner, and tell him its your opinion that the pianist
should be made financially responsible for any damage, including broken
strings, due to abuse of the instrument. The owner might not go along
with the idea,,,, but at least you can clarify the cause of the problem
for him nicely.

> > I have seen recommendations for increasing let-off to
> > depower a pounder. I
> > have never tried that though. Just curious whether anyone
> > has any experience
> > with the technique I outlined above, and how much dip/blow
> > reduction is best
> > to adequately depower the piano, but not aggravate the
> > player too much. The
> > amount I used what just a wild guess on my part.
> >
> > Terry Farrell

Cheers
RicB