No downbearing ?

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:25:57 +0100

I should say that indeed downbearing is not indispensable, but on most
pianos, front bearing particularly produce a more pleasing (fuller) tone.

Bearing being not discernable after the strings have been installed, it is
often confused with "distance bearing" which indeed is the proof that some
pressure exist when it is seen, but on some pianos the soundboard look flat
after the strings have been tense (while down bearing exist absorbed by the
soundboard) .

All depend of the kind of ribbing and construction used (flat ribbing vs.
crowned ribbing). Most German made pianos are using flat ribs and are very
sensitive to humidity changes when the soundboard is in good condition, so
the go out of tune easily in that case. these instruments need less down
bearing than the ones which are using crowned ribbing (Bösendorfer for
instance).
The flat ribbing method "is said" to produce stiffer soundboard assembly,
while curved ribs need to be pressured more to obtain the necessary
stiffness. That is what I have understood, very crudely  I confess, from the
different conversations on those matters.

Bonne Année !

Isaac

                       Pianotech

                        Isaac OLEG
                        accordeur - reparateur - concert  19 rue Jules Ferry
                        94400 VITRY sur SEINE
                        oleg-i@noos.fr  tel:
                              fax:
                              mobile:  033 01 47 18 06 98
                              33 01 47 18 06 90
                              033 06 60 42 58 77

            Powered by Plaxo Want a signature like this?

      Add me to your address book...