High quality?

Ned Swift swiftspiano@hotmail.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:19:17 -0500

OK.  What I have is a Baldwin Hamilton 5'2" that was built in the 20s.  It
belongs to a customer/friend of mine.  Her father bought it shortly after
entering the ministry so the piano holds a lot of memories for her.

The bridge needs to be recapped so, replacing the strings is a requirement.
The case is in excellent condition as it was refinished by someone about 20
years ago.  The hammers are badly worn and need to be replaced.  Some are
down to the wood.

I am basically concerned about the bace strings and the hammers.  I could
put on Mapes bace strings or something more expensive.  Likewise with the
hammers.  I could put on stock Schaff hammer or something like Renners.

Since she is a friend of mine, she will be getting the parts at cost and the
labor will be at a reduced rate and done during my spare time. So, will the
expensive parts make the piano sound better or will it just be a waste of
money?

Ned Swift aka Swifty aka Nettles
Lowell, MI