Practical Approaches was RE: This Needs A Definitive Settlement was RE: 12 cents

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:29:16 -0500

>Point: I think the above spiel covers me if the tuning DOES go a little
>south after a big pitch change.

Me too. That's pretty much my approach.

>BUT one other thing: I put a lot of energy into each string when I
>perform a pc--POUND, POUND, POUND. I want those strings to move under MY
>control, not while Ms. Pianowner is rapping out really raucous
>Rachmaninoff rhapsodies.

Likewise, but(t)...
Have you ever had the first string you tuned drop suddenly as you were
tuning the second or third to it, even after pounding the first string into
what should have been adequate submission? Where did the pitch drop come
from? There are only three remotely rational possibilities I can think of.
One is from the back scale, which I consider most likely in spite of the
pounding. Second is from the coil, which, interestingly enough, will often
entertain you with a dramatic pitch drop if you tap on it a bit, but
normally won't if you don't. Third is a highly localized structural failure
affecting only one string.

I'll take door number one, please.

Ron N