String Breakage of the Third Kind

Stephen Airy stephenairy@fastmail.fm
Tue, 01 Jul 2003 00:48:20 -0800

Before I restrung my upright, I remember breaking middle C (shared with
C#) at the speaking side of the bridge pin once while playing.  I noticed
when I was playing C once that the unison was out of tune, and the next
thing I knew the string had snapped at the bridge pin.

Speaking of breaking strings, has anyone ever had a bass string break IN
the winding, or had the winding AND the core wire break and the two
segments separate from each other?  Or, had the same string (bass or
treble) break in two different places at the same time?  Also, how much
of a hazard could it potentially be to a performer if a fairly long
string that isn't under other ones breaks at the hitch pin or at the
bridge?

--
  Stephen Airy
  stephenairy@fastmail.fm