String Breakage of the Third Kind

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 01 Jul 2003 07:09:31 -0400

Stephen,

Yes.  A customer's small daughter knocked over a vase of flowers on the baby
grand piano that had been recently restrung by someone else.  The vase broke,
the water spilled onto the wound strings, and the core wire broke on some of
them.

I serviced this piano for the first time in November 2000, replaced nine
strings with custom made duplicates and cleaned out the broken glass.
Several other strings still had obvious corrosion on the winding.  Two years
later (last fall) another string tore, so I replaced that one, too.  If the
customer hadn't appeared to be of limited means, it probably would have been
better to replace all the strings that showed any corrosion, but this was the
first and only time I ran into this situation, so I did what seemed right at
the time.  Some of those stained strings may never tear; time will tell.

I believe the winding did not tear on any of these.  Schaff did a good job
working with such poor samples.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT