All In A Days Work

Gholley237@cs.com Gholley237@cs.com
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:38:39 EDT

Hello List.
       Have read of several other technicians discussing their work load for
one day so I thought I'd share my work load for today.
        Got a call from a Mennonite Youth Camp located north of, Union,
Michigan, a 30 minute drive north of me in Goshen, Indiana, on Friday morning,
needed a Kimball spinet tuned that afternoon for a choir concert on Saturday
morning at 10:30 AM.
       Got there at 3:30 PM, tuned the spinet, found one damper head hanging
loose, reparied that, found one wire D#5 broke, didn't have my wire case, but
tuned the piano, leaving the pianist with one wire on D#5; wires had been
knotted up in a ball.
       "Oh, but we have 3 more pianos that need tuning and some repair".
Scheduled that for today Wednesday 7/2/03.
       Started at 8:00 AM this morning:

       Tuned a Yamaha 45: Studio, 13 c flat, pitch raise and fine tune.

       Tuned a Regent Upright, 7 c flat, fine tune.  F#7 hammer broke off
shank, glued
             it back on shank.  Repaired D4 damper.
             G7 and A#7 wires broke, did not replace.  May do later on a
return visit.

       Tuned a Baldwin, 45" Studio, circa 1993, 17.5 c flat.  Pitch raise and
fine tune.
             Tuning pins were rock hard in block, stood up most the time,
sometimes
             even used two hands on the hammer to move the pins. "Snap - pop"
             B6 hammer shank warped, hammer lightly rubbing on neighbor, will
return
             and straighten,  didn't have butane torch with me.

       Returned to Kimball that I tuned Friday PM, pulled action, replaced
D#5 wire.

       Finished up at 4:00 PM,  no lunch, had moved from one building to
another with
maybe 30 minutes lost time from unloading tools from Jimmy and then back in
and on to the next building.  8 hours work,  will be tuning every 6 months and
picked up an office worker with a piano to tune.  $375.00 gross.  I do believe
they got their money's worth.
       Sitting here and sipping on a vodka and tonic right now and cooling
down while I
type this out.
       Temp in all buildings was around 79 degrees and RH was around 65%.  No
air conditioning up there.  Nice people though and a beautiful site on a
lake.

All in a days work.

Regards,
Gordon Holley