Safe-T-Planer

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 16:56:45 -0700

I have used the Safe-T-Planer for quite a few years. I really like it for
surfacing the top surface "square". However, contrary to it's name, it ain't
totally safe. One of my apprenti got her finger(s) in her Safe-T-Planer,
while surfacing keys! It wasn't a pretty sight. :-(- A few tips: 1. It is
wise to have a special table/jig set up, separate from your regular Drill
Press Table, so that you can keep it accurate. You MUST make sure that the
table is ABSOLUTELY SQUARE with the planer. This is done, quite simply with
a piece of drill rod that has two right angle bends. (best way to describe
it, is from the Drill Chuck, one right angle bend so the drill rod is
parallel with the table; 2"- 4", [4" is preferable], make another right
angle bend so the rod is perpendicular to the table; 2"-4" of length on this
part of the rod, with a sharp point on the end.) This little thingee, when
hand rotated with the "point" just touching the Table, will tell you if the
chuck/quill is perpendicular to the table. You MUST do this EVERY TIME you
set up the Safe-T-Planer! DAMHIK!<G> If the special table/jig is set up
right, it is very difficult NOT to get a smooth, "square" surface. I've
found that a speed of about 1200 RPM, will give you good results on soft key
stick material. Make sure to keep the Planer sharp. ( a few licks with a
diamond bar, each time you use it, will suffice.) The Sharpening stone that
is supplied with the Safe-T-Planer is a BEAR to get right. It's less
frustating to just get some extra blades and have a professional tool
sharpener sharpen them for you. Another DAMHIK!<G>
As for the front trimming, I've found it easier to set up a jig on my Band
Saw. I hate doing it tho, as that darn Celluloid, on most fronts, really
gums up my Band Saw. A real thorough cleaning after each session of key
fronts!!!!!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)