Graphite Grease/Gunk!

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:49:11 -0500

>The "Monkey See/Monkey Do" philosopy of piano design really Honks me off,
>sometimes! I'm currently working on a 7' Asian grand action,
>reconditioning/regulation. This is a well respected Manufacturer, of which I
>have high regard. They chose to put some "Gunk" in the balancier spring
>slots!!!! IMO, it does absolutely nothing, but impede a consistant
>Regulation and Touch. S&S still does this too! Why?!!!!! Yikes! Sheesh! (End
>of rant! I feel much better now.<G>
>Best Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

That's spring resonator paste Joe. If you can get the good stuff that's
made in the North side of the plant, hand rub it between two perfectly flat
large brass plates for three days to pre-condition it to the idea of
sliding, and burnish it into the rep slot with a staple reinforced
Sasquatch felt hammer trimmed to the precise shape (available by special
order) and precisely 2 millimeters longer than the backcheck, it works just
fine for months.

You must not be doing it right.

Ron N