Long backscales

Sun, 6 Jul 2003 11:50:39 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 06, 2003 7:56 AM
Subject: Re: Long backscales

> >Why would you want to get rid of the trichords of the bass bridge?
> >
> >Calin
>
> I don't like wrapped trichords, and consider them unnecessary and
> detrimental. They rarely if ever tune clean, and so far I can do anything
> need to with scaling staying with wrapped bichords, double wrapped
> monochords, and plain trichords.
>
> Ron N

More specifically, there are several reasons why we don't like them:
    -- They are difficult to wrap well. So they often are not wrapped well.
    -- From a scaling standpoint it is impossible to blend unison tension,
power and inharmonicity across the transition from tri-chord plain steel
strings to tri-chord wrapped strings (using real-world strings and wires)
no matter where you put the bridges.
    -- As Ron points out, there is no need for them. Much cleaner
transitions can be made by simply going from tri-chord plain steel strings
to bi-chord wrapped strings.

Del