Long backscales

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:19:29 -0500

> > I don't like wrapped trichords, and consider them unnecessary and
> > detrimental. They rarely if ever tune clean, and so far I can do anything
> > need to with scaling staying with wrapped bichords, double wrapped
> > monochords, and plain trichords.
> >
> > Ron N
> >

>More specifically, there are several reasons why we don't like them:
>     -- They are difficult to wrap well. So they often are not wrapped well.
>     -- From a scaling standpoint it is impossible to blend unison tension,
>power and inharmonicity across the transition from tri-chord plain steel
>strings to tri-chord wrapped strings (using real-world strings and wires)
>no matter where you put the bridges.
>     -- As Ron points out, there is no need for them. Much cleaner
>transitions can be made by simply going from tri-chord plain steel strings
>to bi-chord wrapped strings.
>
>Del

Ah yes, specificity. The difficulty in wrapping is what I was referring to
with the tuning difficulties. The wrap is too small to be reliably
controllable, and the three strings of any given unison only coincidentally
match, which is seldom. I confess I haven't looked at the problems with
blending scaling parameters across transitions with wrapped trichords. Just
trying to tune the nasty things was enough to rule them out of
consideration for me. I'm curious now though...

Ron N