Was wagner planer now Jig for feeding keys/Tom Driscoll

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 00:25:44 -0400

Tom,

After viewing the photos, I see where there is another problem. You have
the Jig set up, so that the key goes into the cutter Left of center, of
the cutter. You are not getting efficient use of the Planer in this way.
You should be feeding Right of the center of the Planer. Same principle
as Routing. So, when you make the next one mount everything about 1" to
1 1/2" to the right. Either that or just put a spacer on the fence for a
test. Best Regards, Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Joe,

      Observant Lad aren't you!

      I noticed the setup being off center after downloading the images
but I was too lazy to re-shoot.

      I had just laid the table on the press with a junk key to
demonstrate the jig. In a "real" procedure the jig places the key in the
center of the planer.

      As the table can be screwed to the drill press in any position, on
the next real setup I'll line the key up to the right of center and give
it a try. Thanks for the tip.

      Tom Driscoll RPT