Too efficient dampers?

Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:01:54 +0200

A comment I hear time and time again from some pianists goes along these lines.
The fast cutoff of sound imparts a coldness to the character of the instruments
overall tone... or at least ones perception of it. Fact is, I often get the
feeling that I prefer the sound of a well functioning overdamper system myself.
Some of those old Bluthner overdampers were well built and nice sounding
instruments.

Damper springs in uprights can be regulated to simulate this kind of soft
damping... but its not easy to get them even.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.