Wagner Safe-T-Planer/Tom Driscoll

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 19:16:08 -0700

Tom,
You asked: "Although against my basic instincts I checked the directions
that came with the Wagner Planer and they advise the Max. safe speed to
be 600 RPM. I was operating @ 800 rpm with no problem . You recomended
1200 RPM for a keystick.  My little drill press doubles to 1600 RPM  at
the next pulley setting ,so W.W.J.D.? (What would Joe do?)
Thanks,
Tom Driscoll

To answer your question: My drill press's lowest speed is 700, the next up
is 1200. I've found that the 700rpm is ok, sometimes. However, when I've got
a "cranky" set of keys, I've found that if I go to the next speed up, I get
less "tear-out" and a smoother finish. Because we are allowing the cutters
to cool in between keys cut, I think the upper speed is ok. Just my take on
it. To reiterate, though, the prime requisite is to make sure the cutter is
"square" with the table/jig.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)