New soundboard for Pleyel

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:27:37 -0400

Danny,
         I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but to me the=20
difference between the two pictures is the absence of a soundboard cut off=
=20
bar on the first picture (new board). This squared piece of wood is not a=20
rib but rather should be considered part of the rim. Perhaps more clearly=20
it is part of the framework of the piano not the soundboard. It in fact=20
stops the soundboard from vibrating past that point. It is not designed to=
=20
be flexible at all in my opinion but rather it is desired that this be=20
rigid with the inner rim of the rest of the piano. The small piece of rib=20
that continues after this cut off bar (squared piece) is probably there=20
just to help prevent a crack in that area. As to whether or not the crown=20
will be supported I doubt that this will effect how they made the board. I=
=20
hope that it is a rib crowned board but I rather doubt it. If it were me, I=
=20
would proceed.

Greg Newell

At 05:48 PM 7/10/2003, you wrote:

>I included in this mail two pictures: one picture of the original=
 soundboard
>Pleyel =B01900 and one
>picture of a new soundboard for this piano I ordered at Tonewood=
 Switserland