New soundboard for Pleyel

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:45:00 -0500

>You notice in the basspart one rib which should be glued square on top of
>the other ribs is missing. Mr Lardi was confused he told me by another order
>I send him for of a Blüthner. Indeed this Blüthner doesn't has  this sqare
>rib because that part in the soundboard  is supported from underneath.
>Mr Lardi proposed me to make the missing rib today and he sended it right
>away. We can shape it to original measures  and adjust it and he says the
>support of crown will be as stable as in the original Pleyelsoundboard. But
>we doubt... and will proceed after more advice please, thank you.

Danny,
That's a "cutoff bar", or an intended equivalent. It's not to support
crown, but to discourage unwanted resonances in the board. Yes, you want
that on there.

>You can notice that there is one part of a rib, which is also missing, this
>part is going down completely to the end and first passing under and adjust
>and glued to this squared rim.

That one is to stiffen the panel, and you want it on there too. It isn't a
direct acoustic consideration, but even though that part is outside of the
active soundboard area it needs something to stiffen it and keep it under
control both during play, and with humidity changes.

>Last question : Is it normal procedure that we also have to finish the rims
>of this soundboards? You noticed they are not shaped at all.  Is what you
>take of so important for sound, is there a standard for ribshaping?
>Thanks for reply
>Danny

I've always made my own ribs and glued them on the panel myself, so I'm not
sure what's usual procedure in your case. With just a pattern to work with,
if the maker didn't have specifications for the feathering at the rib ends,
he was right to leave them like he did for you to do, rather than to guess.
Since you seem to be reproducing what was originally in the piano, just
chisel the feathering in the rib ends to match the original. There isn't a
recognized standard for feathering. You either reproduce what was there, or
invent something of your own.

Ron N