Sharp key dip/height

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 02:56:11 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Perkins" <jimperkins@mac.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 1:00 AM
Subject: Sharp key dip/height

> Is there a recommended height above the white keys for black keys when
> they are depressed?  In other words should they be say 14 mm above the
> white keys with a 10mm dip to about 4mm in the down position?  Or is it
> 'piano specific'?
>
> I would appreciate your comments.
>

> James Perkins
> 42 Marlee Road
> Parklands
> WA 6210
> Australia

> Mobile 0401674447

    It is piano-specific, but I'd say 1mm is a bit low and 2mm is toward the high side (height of sharp above natural when sharp is depressed).  Here in the states, the thickness of a nickel is about right, which is .065 inch, or 1.65 mm, if it can be measured that precisely.   --Dave Nereson, RPT, Denver