Strange bridge in a Steinway

Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:30:22 -0700

There seem to be a few theories about these gaps which appear on various
models and not on others.  I've often wondered whether the theories hold up
in practice.  I've heard some mention that when reusing the old bridge on a
new board that they fill these areas.  In light of a discussion awhile ago
about the bridge's contribution in general to the stiffness of the board,
it would seem that these gaps are of little consequence.  If they don't
have any real benefit, do they do any harm?  That is, do they effect the
function of the bridge or board in any negative way possibly.  As Roger J.
mentioned, I like the model O as well.  The questions for me are: what in
that model is really contributing to the specific performance of that
piano, what might be inhibiting better performance, and what really doesn't
make any real difference?

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net